The Municipal Art Gallery (Pinacoteca Civica) “Francesco Podesti” in Ancona
Housed in the Palazzo Bosdari, the Pinacoteca was established in 1884 after the donation of many cardboards and paintings by Francesco Podesti, a painter from Ancona, to whom the Pinacoteca is entitled. Inside it, there are important paintings from the XIV to the XIX century, among which are those of Andrea Lilli, another painter from Ancona, who worked in Rome under the papacy of Sixtus V. Moreover, there are: the “Madonna con Bambino” (“Madonna with Child”) by Carlo Crivelli, la “Sacra Conversazione” (“Holy Conversation”) by Lorenzo Lotto, the “Ritratto di Francesco Arsilli” (“The portrait of Francesco Arsilli”) by Sebastiano del Piombo, l’ “Immacolata Concezione” (“The Immaculate Conception”) and the “Santa Palazia” by Guercino, in addition to precious works of different cultural mould. Among them all, the Gozzi Altarpiece by Titian stands out; it is the first dated work of the artist. A section of the Pinacoteca houses art of the XX century with works by Bartolini, Bucci, Cagli, Campigli, Cassinari, Cucchi, Levi, Tamburi, Trubbiani and by other important contemporary artists. Now, the Pinacoteca is closed to the public for restoration works. Individual visits can be allowed on request (tel. n. 0712225041 – 5055) .
Works on display
Altarpiece of the Halberd, 1539Description of the work
Assumption, 1550Description of the work
The city of Ancona
The city was founded by the Greeks from Siracusa in the IV century B.C. and reached its greatest splendour with the Emperor Trajan, who decided to build a splendid triumphal arch. The ancient centre of the city rose on the top of the Colle Guasco (Guasco Hill) where there was a Greek Acropolis and where today is the Cathedral of San Ciriaco (XI-XIII centuries). The seaport, which was very important in antiquity, nowadays is one of the most important of the Adriatic. Within the seaport a visit is recommended to the Lazzaretto (also known as Mole Vanvitelliana) a majestic pentagonal construction by the architect Luigi Vanvitelli, which stands in a strategic and charming position. Among the most interesting monuments are: the XVI century Palazzo Ferretti, seat of the National Archaeological Museum (Museo Archeologico Nazionale) with frescos by Pellegrino Tibaldi and Federico Zuccari; the Loggia dei Mercanti, with a facade in flowered Gothic style by Giorgio da Sebenico; the Church of San Domenico, which houses the Crocifissione (Crucifixion) by Tiziano and the Teatro delle Muse (Theatre of the Muse), built in 1827 in neoclassical style.