The museum of Villa Coloredo Mels
Since 1998 Villa Colloredo Mels has hosted the museums of Recanati, divided into several sections with proof which tells of the history and art of Recanati from prehistoric times to the present day. In the archaeological section we can learn about the organisation of a Neolithic community that lived in this area and that disappeared during the Iron age.
The gallery, where we can find masterpieces of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries such as the paintings by Pietro Domenico da Montepulciano and Ludovico da Siena, is mainly famous for the extraordinary work of the Venetian painter Lorenzo Lotto (1490-1556). With works ranging from one of his early masterpieces such as the Altarpiece of San Domenico (1508) to the fascinating Transfiguration, influenced by Rafael but with a total anti-classical setting, ending with the unforgettable Annunciation, an absolute masterpiece by the Master.
The section of Modern Painting includes a collection of paintings by local artists such as the engraver Giacomo Braccialarghe and the restorer and art critic Biagio Biagetti
Works on display
Annunciazione, 1527/1529Description of the work
San Vincenzo Ferrer in gloria, 1513Description of the work
S. Giacomo pellegrino, 1512 c.Description of the work
Trasfigurazione, 1512Description of the work
Polittico di S. Domenico, 1508Description of the work
City of Recanati
Recanati is located on top of a hill between the valleys of the rivers Potenza and Musone. Like other cities in Marche, it is a typical “balcony city” for its wonderful panorama.
Not a lot is known about the origin of the city of Recanati. The territory was definitely inhabited in prehistoric times and later by the Piceno population. In Roman times, the inhabitants of Potenza and Helvia Recina were invaded by the Goths and the population fled to the surrounding hills.
The city of Recanati back in the twelfth century was created by unifying three villages (Monte Morello, Monte San Vito and Monte Volpino) which were located on the crest of the hill. There were a few important milestones during the history of Recanati: in 1229 Frederick II granted the city a port (today’s Porto Recanati) between the rivers that bordered it with the south and the north; in 1240, Pope Gregory IX gave Recanati the title of city and an Episcopal headquarters; in 1294 the Holy House of Nazareth was brought to Recanati and later it was decided to erect the great basilica (cathedral).
Pope Martin V started the Recanati trade fair in 1421, thanks to this, Recanati expanded until the early seventeenth century. This contributed significantly to the economic development of the city, and over the years a lot of literary people came to the city, like the humanist Antonio Bonfini, and famous artists such as Lorenzo Lotto, Guercino, Andrea Sansovino, Aurelio, Ludovico e Girolamo Lombardi, Pier Paolo, Tarquinio Jacometti, Antonio Calcagni e Luigi Vanvitelli.
In 1798, the city was occupied by Napoleon’s troops. In 1860, after the annexation of the Papal States to the Kingdom of Italy, following the battle of Castelfidardo, the history of Recanati becomes part of Italy’s today.